When I was a kid, one of my teachers had a poster in her classroom that read, "What is right is not always popular. What is popular is not always right." I always think of this quote when I read the poem we read in class today, "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. Can you see how my teacher's poster and Mr. Frost's poem share a similar message? Explain.
The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
It means, sometimes the right decision is not always the cool decision, but the bad decision can sometimes be the cool decision but not the right one.
ReplyDeleteFor example, if you want to go to a party, but you have to study for your math test that has 100 problems on it, you have to say no to the party. But at the end of the day, you are the one that gets a hundred percent on the test and your friends all fail the test and have to redu it over and over again. That is what I think of it.
How I see it, Frost's poem and your teacher's poster are very alike. They are saying that you have to be an individual, not one of the crowd. For example,if it is popular to smoke, that isn't the right decision. Smoking can give you so many problems, you have to think. Another example (my interpretation of Frost's poem) is about Civil Rights. It was popular to be mean to coloured people, separate them from whites, etc. That was really not right, so that's what I think.
ReplyDeleteFrost's poem and your teacher saying are very much alike. They both have to do with how live is to you and other people and how choosing the harder path can lead you to good things while the easier one can lead to bad things.
ReplyDeleteThe road that is people take the most may not be the right one.
ReplyDeleteThe right road might not be the one that everyone takes.
yes I can see the message in both of them. Both of them say don't do somthing because everyone else does it, you make your own choices. Like my mom's favorite saying it's not are actions that make what we are it is are choices.
ReplyDeleteI think 'The Road Not Taken' is like your old teachers' poster. Just because other people chose that path, why should you? Like Robert Frost said, 'I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.' If you just try, it can make a big difference.
ReplyDeleteThe poster in your old classroom is similur to the poem The Road not taken
ReplyDeletebecause one road is popular and the other road is the doing right you could take either way.
They are similar because just because other people do it doesn't mean its right
ReplyDeleteWell, I think the Robert Frost poem is saying that you can take a way that is right or wrong. The same message goes for your teacher's poem.
ReplyDeleteI think they're both saying that a road not taken may not be used but that dos not mean its wrong.
ReplyDelete