Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Life's an Archeological Site...Dig it


Thursday July 14

Ok, so today was a pretty cool, once in a lifetime opportunity for me. Our group got to work with Greg, an archeologist, at Sunrise. We started by digging up the ground using a post hole digger and putting the dirt into 10 liter buckets. The measurements and locations were very particular because if any artifacts were found, we had to be able to report exactly where it came from. After we dug up the dirt, we emptied the buckets into a sifter. This got all the little stuff out so we could see the big chunks of rock. What were were looking for on this day was churt and androcite (Joel and Ron found flakes in the second bucket!!!) Who knew we could get so excited about looking at dirt and rocks, but we were like kids in a candy store!




After lunch Tonya and I hiked to Frozen Lake via the Sourdough trail at Sunrise park. My senses were going crazy! I could smell the evergreen, feel the breeze coming over valleys of snow, and saw the bluest water in Frozen Lake. On the last leg of our hike, I had to slow down and take my time. I kept taking deep breaths of the fresh air, cause I knew that too soon I'd be back to Missouri's humidity.


When I got back down my feet thanked me. Back at paradise I went to the visitor center and learned about the Teacher Ranger Teacher program where teachers can live at the National Park and work during the summer (Yosemite 2011???). After dinner we had a presentation from Olga and Alicia on the Makah Indians and I got some more teaching ideas. We finished our night by sitting in the lodge chatting about what a wonderful week it had been.

Bright and early on Friday we drove back to SeaTac and caught our flight. Because of the jet stream, our flight back was only 3 hours! It was good to get home, but so sad to say good bye to everyone. I learned so much from these people, and this experience. I am so grateful that I got to do this and would do it 100 more times if given the chance (hint, hint, Ron!)

I'll leave you with a quote from my new favorite person:
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks." -John Muir



3 comments:

  1. nice picture Mrs.Stokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew you liked the St.Louis cardinals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks sooooooo awesome!!!! I need to do that some time in my life.

    ReplyDelete